Tigers

• Thread starter Thread starter DMack
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 300
  • Views Views: Views 4,251
Was this one of them you were in with??
image.jpg

There has been much talk and debate about the methods used for the sales, but what would you do if you were the mastermind?
To answer the OP's question...

If it were an actual group buy, everybody participating would get chips at actual cost -- although running an actual open group buy for GPI products in public is pretty unrealistic (and why none of those eight purchases previously mentioned were organized that way).

But if I were funding the project myself (with or without investors), I would treat it like a business, and inflate the retail sale prices accordingly. 100% markup over net cost seems reasonable, even if the 'market' would be willing to pay more.

To answer the OP's question...

If it were an actual group buy, everybody participating would get chips at actual cost -- although running an actual open group buy for GPI products in public is pretty unrealistic (and why none of those eight purchases previously mentioned were organized that way).

But if I were funding the project myself (with or without investors), I would treat it like a business, and inflate the retail sale prices accordingly. 100% markup over net cost seems reasonable, even if the 'market' would be willing to pay more.
So I may as well get it out of the way as I'm sure its coming, What would 100% markup look like?

So I may as well get it out of the way as I'm sure its coming, What would 100% markup look like?
Twice my final net cost. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it would obviously depend on a lot of factors, most not under my direct control. But I'd expect it to be in the $4 to $5 range, maybe more with recent inflation. I'm thinking $7 tops.

Twice my final net cost. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it would obviously depend on a lot of factors, most not under my direct control. But I'd expect it to be in the $4 to $5 range, maybe more with recent inflation. I'm thinking $7 tops.
So is that saying that the Star chips were about $2 from MFGR

Thread, please. For transparency!
Why dangle the carrot? If you’ve got something interesting to say that hasn’t already been said, why not just shout it out?

Truth is, NAGBs just aren’t all that interesting to some of us. If they truly were all that, you wouldn’t see their creators trying to trade them for REAL CHIPS now would we?

With all due respect Dave.

Why dangle the carrot? If you’ve got something interesting to say that hasn’t already been said, why not just shout it out?

Truth is, NAGBs just aren’t all that interesting to some of us. If they truly were all that, you wouldn’t see their creators trying to trade them for REAL CHIPS now would we?

With all due respect Dave.
No carrot here. And no need to spew info if nobody's interested, either.

But there were several inaccurate assumptions around GPI purchases posted in the thread, and I can shed light on some of the inner workings.

If you're not interested in learning, just move along. With all due respect.

Had to have been less. I was involved in an NAGB that didn’t ultimately make it through and everyone’s cost per chip was $1.65. This was almost 2 years after the boats had sailed.

A good friend of mine and I were offered boat chips from someone directly involved not too long after they started showing up publicly.
The offer at the time was for $2.80 per chip.
If I had to guess, my thoughts would be that this person would double his investment off of myself and my friend.
Probably making his cost somewhere in the $1.40 range per chip.

When you look at the fact that WTHCs were going for $1.15 per just a few short years prior, $1.40 seems right in the ballpark.
But what do I know? Just thinking with a little common sense.

No carrot here. And no need to spew info if nobody's interested, either.

But there were several inaccurate assumptions around GPI purchases posted in the thread, and I can shed light on some of the inner workings.

If you're not interested in learning, just move along. With all due respect.
At this point Dave, I’m not sure anyone would believe much of anything from anybody. That’s not a personal shot toward you, it’s just that there have been so many conflicting stories at this point.
Not sure anyone knows what’s truth or fiction.

NAGBs have always just seemed to create controversy and over blown ego’s. It’s honestly why I’ve never desired owning any of them.
It’s funny to see how people act behind the scenes when they think they’re doing something when all they really end up doing is being typical.

Witnessed it from folks I never imagined that I would. Kinda pathetic and very disappointing when you really get down to it.

I’m curious about this too. How much is the cost + ship direct from GPI
I cannot speak to current GPI pricing (which has definitely increased), but 2016-2018 Paulson base chip prices were roughly $1.11 for 39mm hot-stamps, $1.18 for 39mm inlays, and $1.43 for 43mm inlays (pending edge-spot configuration) with quantity discount applied (which was never divulged to the customer).

Lots of extra charges are added however -- such as artwork fees, hot-stamp set-up fees, crating fees (yes, they charge for making shipping crates), and actual truck and rail costs for shipping. The average to-the-door chip cost for the roughly 295k clay Star chips was under $1.30 per chip, with the ESST high denoms costing more (smaller order), and the PS Bud Jones plastic chips at over $2.50 (also a smaller order).

I cannot speak to current GPI pricing (which has definitely increased), but 2016-2018 Paulson base chip prices were roughly $1.11 for 39mm hot-stamps, $1.18 for 39mm inlays, and $1.43 for 43mm inlays (pending edge-spot configuration) with quantity discount applied (which was never divulged to the customer).

Lots of extra charges are added however -- such as artwork fees, hot-stamp set-up fees, crating fees (yes, they charge for making shipping crates), and actual truck and rail costs for shipping. The average to-the-door chip cost for the roughly 295k clay Star chips was under $1.30 per chip, with the ESST high denoms costing more (smaller order), and the PS Bud Jones plastic chips at over $2.50 (also a smaller order).
Makes sense Dave and you are someone I would believe.
Not sure I understand why the transparency from you at this point?

But non the less, have always respected you when it comes to this hobby.

I can’t remember who posted the actual invoice copies on 2 occasions over at orange. One was, I thought the princess chips and all reference to the post and quotes were scrubbed off the site. The other I thought was for some boat chips but I’m getting old and the references have been scrubbed.

I was very interested back then but less today, yet still as @DuckPlug states it’s hard to know who and what to believe when there is so much “protection” of the data so as to not interfere with profits and the artificial rarity of the chips. Ken shows us oh to well with repeating sales that rarity is a sham.

When I first signed up at PCF and immediately became a wrecking ball we sparred a bit Dave but since I’ve come to hold you and your knowledge in high regard. It’s interesting to hear stories but way more interesting to hear how things really came to be from someone willing to tell the story! Thanks sir, love to hear tale of how it started, came together and became reality if you were willing.

Honestly @BGinGA, I’ve got some questions that I think are much more interesting than any NAGB questions ever could be.

I’d start with what’s with all the blind loyalty in this hobby to certain forums and certain people? I have to say honestly since being in the hobby, I’ve never quite understood it.

I know people personally who said how disgusted they were over that whole boat chip fiasco. Felt totally betrayed by the entire thing and the people behind it but yet they still get in line every time they’re told to do so or asked to do it.

Never have understood that. Any thoughts on it though I would find much more interesting than an NAGB.

Honestly @BGinGA, I’ve got some questions that I think are much more interesting than any NAGB questions ever could be.

I’d start with what’s with all the blind loyalty in this hobby to certain forums and certain people? I have to say honestly since being in the hobby, I’ve never quite understood it.

I know people personally who said how disgusted they were over that whole boat chip fiasco. Felt totally betrayed by the entire thing and the people behind it but yet they still get in line every time they’re told to do so or asked to do it.

Never have understood that. Any thoughts on it though I would find much more interesting than an NAGB.
Sounds like a question for that notorious thread. What’s it called? Orange complaints or some shit. Be interested to see some honesty in there!!
1718042830325.png

Not sure I understand why the transparency from you at this point?
I've always been pretty transparent about the Star chip buys. I posted quite a few details on the now-gone ChipDonkey site, including costs, quantities, design process, and how it came about and ended. Only thing I haven't done is name any names.

I acknowledge that they exist, but I've never understood the hard feelings held by some chippers. I've been excluded from numerous private chip purchases over the years, but have never once taken offense -- I understand that it's just not realistically possible to include everyone, and I don't have such a strong sense of entitlement that I ever felt that I had been wronged in some fashion.

Do you have any idea of what 43mm chips starting point is at? I've always been interested in possibly getting a barrel or something along those lines of something, but never jumped into it. Especially with the quality of those chips today, they just aren't what they were 40 years ago compared to let's say Aladdin 8V 43mm or something.

They just don't feel the same, sound the same or anything. So just wondering about that. I've always been intrigued.

Back