What does it really take to obtain the unobtanium? Can it still be done?

• Thread starter Thread starter DuckPlug
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 70
  • Views Views: Views 1,197
That’s CRAPS sir.
IMG_0184.jpeg

Like I said it's going to take money, time and patience to build an old TRK set today if you are trying to, but once it's done it will feel so good!
100%
IMO vintage Reno sets will always be the most desirable and also most difficult sets to hunt down and assemble. It’s a true journey and labor of love putting anything Reno together and I’d have to say one of the most rewarding things one could do in the hobby.

Even if one could get themselves a good head start on a project, I’m a believer now that a complete and playable set of anything Reno is a 10 plus years project for MOST people. But as you mention Oscar, “so good” once it was completed.

YOOOOOOOO!!!

100%
IMO vintage Reno sets will always be the most desirable and also most difficult sets to hunt down and assemble. It’s a true journey and labor of love putting anything Reno together and I’d have to say one of the most rewarding things one could do in the hobby.

Even if one could get themselves a good head start on a project, I’m a believer now that a complete and playable set of anything Reno is a 10 plus years project for MOST people. But as you mention Oscar, “so good” once it was completed.

YOOOOOOOO!!!
Yo eleven

By definition, if the set exists and has been put together - it’s obtainable.

Building my set was the only way to build a set, built out of chips, that can’t be sets…. If that made any sense. 🤪

A majority of my singles literally don’t have full racks that exist in playable amounts, so there isn’t a way to get them on the felt (which makes me sad) without mixing and massaging them all together.

In a way, for me owning and playing unobtainable sets is only possible by mixing. So to the original question, I’d say it takes patience, lots of effort, money & in a mixed set like mine - a vision to do it in a way that makes you happy.

I've been after a particular rack of chips, or even 80 of them, since I first started chipping. Despite building one at a time, I'm nowhere even close. I was offering an above average price for them for a while, but now three years later they're in "absurd" territory price-wise, as I suspect set collectors of them are now competing with singles collectors. Damn shame.

Time……….Money………Luck……..???????
Unless you shit money and it's truly that rare, you need all three. Sometimes that's not enough. Oh well, still have that "time" factor at least!

I've been after a particular rack of chips, or even 80 of them, since I first started chipping. Despite building one at a time, I'm nowhere even close. I was offering an above average price for them for a while, but now three years later they're in "absurd" territory price-wise, as I suspect set collectors of them are now competing with singles collectors. Damn shame.

Unless you shit money and it's truly that rare, you need all three. Sometimes that's not enough. Oh well, still have that "time" factor at least!
I probably left the word “focus” out of the equation. It takes much of all of those things to put something rare and truly special together.
It seems more difficult by the day in chipping for sure.

It took me several years to put together a couple of my TRK sets. Some denominations are easier to find than others but completing a set to one’s own personal satisfaction is painstakingly challenging to say the least.

If I could give one piece of advice that maybe you don’t hear so much is this, learn to work with your competition. If you can convince your competitor of the importance of what a set means to you and the passion you have for completing it, you can most likely earn your competitions respect.
When you earn your competitors respect , I’m of the opinion they’ll be more likely to wanting to help you.

This is probably the biggest thing no one talks publicly about if at all. I could never have completed my cherished sets without the help of others who love what I love.
Here’s to completing your set rieguy.
IMG_4210.jpeg

Thanks! This set has always been inspiration; I still remember that insane auction with the $25s.

My "competition" (set-wise) is just three people that I know of, two with high quantity, one with my same relative quantity. All three are good guys and old-school chippers, and I chat with two of them on and off (both of which we've helped each other out although not necessarily with these chips). The other is in this thread and he was gracious enough to tag me in his last trade thread regarding them and give me an opportunity, which I still very much appreciate. I think we all "get" each other (likely through shared trauma in the pursuit of completion :LOL:). Think it's time to start back up a thread though; after the last two Ebay auctions of them it was a bit deflating, but no reason to give up.

What rack?? Its not me is it??

Back