• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 15
  • Views Views: Views 272

HelluvaLady23

FORUM SUPPORTER
Reaction score
Location (City, State)
Maryland
So I want to build a hot stamp set to replace the one I no longer have. I'm not 100% ready to commit to a build again, as the wounds from that loss are still tender. But I wanted to toy with some ideas of the possibility/probability of building another hot stamp set. Also, I had at one point considered CPC custom blanks w/ aftermarket hotstamping.... but I'm unsure on that front.

Any thoughts, suggestions, input?

Building a THC hot-stamp set these days seems extremely tough and expensive, but I have no doubt you can do it.

That said, I've been a huge fan of the look and feel of the CPC aftermarket Kifer-stamps. With the right stamp design, I feel like a set on the Horsehead mold is very much "you" and would be rewarding with patience and you nailing the chips. It would obviously likely be much cheaper too, assuming you aren't going after worn tires for Paulson and have no intention of resale.

Well. I had a theme in mind, just a matter of creating it. The stamp would be similar to that of the stallion springs TRKs, I however was undecided on HHR Scrown or Lcrown.
And I had some special twists I wanted to add, but with the details being so minute was uncertain it could be pulled off via stamp (design too intricate mushing together)

Scrown and L-Crown are both awesome/classy. Mushing together is definitely a thing; a friend of mine working on one had a sample die made and tried it, and it most definitely needs some tinkering due to that. Tough balance.

Could always go design on one side and denom on another if it helps clear up some space. Certainly would appear relatively natural on scrown/lcrown.

Last edited:
Have you considered "re-stamps"? I've seen some pretty nice results.

Scrown and L-Crown are both awesome/classy. Mushing together is definitely a thing; a friend of mine working on one had a sample die made and tried it, and it most definitely needs some tinkering due to that. Tough balance.

Could always go design on one side and denom on another if it helps clear up some space. Certainly would appear relatively natural on scrown/lcrown.
This is the way!

Have you considered "re-stamps"? I've seen some pretty nice results.
I owned restamps once before when I had the PCA dimes, I liked them but the visibility of the stamp underneath tilted me just a smidge. Maybe if a 10th of a mm was taken off the stamp surface prior to stamping but that's an major extra step for each chip. As is hand sanding

When a rack of something shows up, get it. This approach my take years, but your costs will be spread out over years, easier pill to swallow. I find it more satisfying to build sets slowly. I have a greater appreciation of my sets built slowly, vs buying the complete set at once.

When a rack of something shows up, get it. This approach my take years, but your costs will be spread out over years, easier pill to swallow. I find it more satisfying to build sets slowly. I have a greater appreciation of my sets built slowly, vs buying the complete set at once.
I think ovo nails it here but I also like rieguy suggestions as well. Going to ultimately come down what stimulates your personality most.
If there’s one thing I know about you is this, you don’t typically back down from a good challenge. So why not put your Big Girl Pants on and do both?

Show this community what a real journey is all about!
1702654301292.gif

I will say, as someone that completed a CPC set myself this year, it is a game-changer. Can't recommend it enough if you put in the time and build what you want. My favorite leaded Paulsons are still right up there with them, but it's a different kind of appreciation.

If I can piece together two vintage TRK sets simultaneously, I’m sure A REAL HelluvaLady23 could do the same thing. ;)
View attachment 5310
Building a THC hot-stamp set these days seems extremely tough and expensive, but I have no doubt you can do it.
We all have faith! Do it

Lol thanks guys! Definitely something that would take a lot of time and commitment to finish through. I'm a little worried CPC doesn't have a bright future either

I think ovo nails it here but I also like rieguy suggestions as well. Going to ultimately come down what stimulates your personality most.
If there’s one thing I know about you is this, you don’t typically back down from a good challenge. So why not put your Big Girl Pants on and do both?

Show this community what a real journey is all about!
View attachment 5309
Stimulates Delores?

Back