The Chip Spa

Forum Admin
CCA MEMBER
SNCCC MEMBER
Reaction score
Location (City, State)
Wisconsin
Hello Forum!

I've been notified by the security features of the newest version of our forum software that there has been an increased number of known "spammer" IP's and emails trying to create accounts here. These accounts have been declined and banned by email, name and IP.

The user accounts are typically from India or the Baltics, Middle East and Russia. While I have NO ISSUE with any of the people from these areas the IP's have been on the known spammers lists at the many services we employ and I'm more for error on the side of caution than increasing our user count with BS users.

I encourage you to use 2FA and a valid and correct email address but the choice is yours. There shouldn't be a problem as we are a very specific hobby site with a small membership (Yes, anything under 50K users is considered small) but valid members should have no problem with using accurate personal info as we NEVER SHEARE YOUR INFORMATION. Our site is secure and monitored.

Always report suspicious PM/DM's please so we can know whats up here. If your using a VPN or other proxy service I encourage you to ask for verified user status so you don't get mistakenly censored or IP banned etc. I understand that some don't want other sites to see or know that you belong here for whatever reason but I also think that the "competition" or whatever it is that is perceived between us and other hobby specific sites is invalid and childish. I don't ban users because they mention other sites or are members of other sites and I don't think that the other sites practice that childish behavior (well other than the mentioning of other sites, I know one that does that)

Our core group (admins and mods) has no fear of other hobby sites and will be here for the enjoyment and resources of our hobby and it's members trying to keep an entertaining informative place to enjoy the hobby. I encourage membership in all hobby related sites!!

I will be adding certain additional security features to enhance the monitoring of user sign ups to continue to keep our forum free of spammers and the like.

If you see something, say something! We must be doing something good or we wouldn't see these attempts to throw the spam at the site.

Thanks

@RivieraDanny
Dan

Back