"Hoards" Some affect Value and some do not. Why?

• Thread starter Thread starter The Chip Spa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25
  • Views Views: Views 418

The Chip Spa

Forum Admin
CCA MEMBER
SNCCC MEMBER
Reaction score
Location (City, State)
Wisconsin
I have a set of 43mm Dunes Golf course Baccarats for example. Always some listed, 1000's made, values hold..... Yet if I listed my set, even at a discount from current prices it would never sell. Why is that??

Or even the 39mm's where bike tires are bringing $15-$20 Why?? The pitch forks would come out if those of us with the sets asked "Going pricing"..

I wont even go into how the Pick Hobson $5 chip is at $6 - $7 and a IAGB chip is $10 - $15 and watch the singles folks laugh at these backward values.

I wont even go into how the Pick Hobson $5 chip is at $6 - $7 and a IAGB chip is $10 - $15
There’s a sucker born every minute? :unsure:
Yet if I listed my set, even at a discount from current prices it would never sell. Why is that??
2 reasons……..
1……..Bidonomics
2……. Currently no naive billionaires floating around the hobby to manipulate.

There’s a sucker born every minute? :unsure:

2 reasons……..
1……..Bidonomics
So what you’re saying is our whole hobby is a black hole of selfishness, deceit, and manipulation??

2 reasons…….
1……..Bidonomics
Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

So what you’re saying is our whole hobby is a black hole of selfishness, deceit, and manipulation??
Not the entire hobby but a large portion of it yes.
As a collector, when one feels like you have to have a list of people that only you’ll sell to or do business with, I think the fact that one could feel that way speaks volumes.

Not a gripe, it’s just how it is.

If you compare chips to the market…

It’s actually hilarious.

There’s people trying their absolute best to manipulate the “market” because they see chips as a vehicle for value…

Then there’s the other crowd (I’m here) who just love chips, history, and making memories.

So if you found a “hoard” of chips I own, and I paid $10/$20/$100 a chip…. And you start selling them by the truck load for $1 a chip…. I literally would just buy some and add on, and not care about me losing my fuckin retirement plan held in clay disc toys used in a card game.

Camp A: I view chips as money, and therefore will try and get as much money as I can from them.

Camp B: I view chips are fun game pieces that I play with. Nostalgic and historic collectibles. The fun had and memories made is all I’m after. Fuck the money.

Last edited:
Yup. Tom (black hat), Nelson, Al then me going counter clockwise.View attachment 10019

And Tom & I side by side on Friday

View attachment 10020
Don't forget the Legend to your left... Jewish Randy! Thr AL, Krafty... crap forgot the guy to.the left... Ken black Shirt and sammich, then one of my favorite chipping buddies of all time Derek, Juankay20.

Also could have said... "you're and asshole Ben, you smoke my cigar, we spend like 5 hours next to each other the final night... and you still don't know who I am? Lmao

I hope you caught a bit of the "mixed games bug" that was a really fun table the last night.

Ben

Back