Chip Talk. So the request to make this category blue…

• Thread starter Thread starter The Chip Spa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 12
  • Views Views: Views 252

The Chip Spa

Forum Admin
CCA MEMBER
SNCCC MEMBER
Reaction score
Location (City, State)
Wisconsin
Was in regard to the old web site chip talk. Did you used to post on that site??

Who ran that site? And why’d it come down?

Was in regard to the old web site chip talk. Did you used to post on that site??

Who ran that site? And why’d it come down?

There was some back story on why everyone revolted back then on a thread somewhere.
Something to do with I think the site owner being unscrupulous with selling a line of China clay Pharaohs he started.

The guys name was Greg Caggle

Me and a few others bought pointless lifetime supporter memberships too

I even contacted the guy trying to buy the domain name but he just kinda played it off as too important to sell.

I think someone said there were offers to buy it and take it over and he wanted like six figures for something making no money

Before it died I can’t remember if anyone was actively trying to maintain it but it eventually just died off probably quit paying hosting fees. I wish he’d forget to pay the domain fee.

He still uses FB messenger but I never saw him active ever with anything chip related

The site had become problematic since I think 2010 and it has no longer been accessible since 2019.

I had feasted my eyes on CT, at a time when I was still a student and I could not yet afford high end chips. I was then a pure lurker even if with a friend (with whom I shared an account, something I would no longer do today), we had perhaps posted a few questions. I think it was between 2007 and 2010. It was really great. I had saved a ton of images and threads on a hard drive, which I unfortunately lost during the burglary of my apartment... :cry::mad:

I used to post there way back when I was in college. Probably started in late ‘04 and was active for a couple years, but missed all the drama surrounding the site’s downfall. There were a bunch of cool custom BCC and TRK sets posted there. The BCC Protege line was created there, anyone could submit designs for individual chips and they’d go through multiple rounds of voting to determine which chip got used for production. None of my submissions won, lol, I think they were too bright. They’d probably go over great today what with Tigermania and all the other NAGB designs.

Greg Cagle ran the site, he was the force behind the “Paulson Chips” mold Pharoah’s line. I got a set shortly after the initial group buy, I think. ~$.90/chip if I recall correctly. Could have bought CDI ‘98s but that frac was $.50 and in my mind we *had* to have a $.25 chip. Mistakes were made, lol. A few years later Cagle greenlit (and vociferously defended as “real clay”) a China clay Pharoah’s line that stirred up a lot of drama. Seems like things only went downhill from there.

I was a member of Chip Talk for years. The above posts are correct, to my recollection. I loved Chip Talk. It was a fantastic resource and although I had no personal dealings with Greg Cagle, it was the MEMBERS there that made that place a real community of people with a common interest. And sure some people made some money, but that was not the common interest. THE CHIPS were the common interest. It was a great resource.

I didn't realize that the chip room operated on there first then moved.

I was a member of Chip Talk for years. The above posts are correct, to my recollection. I loved Chip Talk. It was a fantastic resource and although I had no personal dealings with Greg Cagle, it was the MEMBERS there that made that place a real community of people with a common interest. And sure some people made some money, but that was not the common interest. THE CHIPS were the common interest. It was a great resource.
It really was totally different back then. It seemed most people were just out to help one another. It was a great resource way back when.

Looks like the registration for chiptalk.net expires on March 24, 2025.

Tried that one! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Surprised the URL doesn't go to PCF by now!!

I discovered and read chiptalk after I got involved with PCF. It was still sputtering along at the time (maybe 2015 or 2016?) but it had a treasuretrove of old posts. So much of the history of chipping is lost with the disappearance of chiptalk. I think I actually signed up after the boatchip schism at PCF. a bunch of people went there to debate the boatchips when PCF was moderating the crap out of any mention of them. There were some heated shitshow debates there, for like a month. That might be when the donkey sight was created and people shifted there, temporarily.
But bottom line, it's a damn shame that the site is gone because I learned a ton of history just reading there.

I discovered and read chiptalk after I got involved with PCF. It was still sputtering along at the time (maybe 2015 or 2016?) but it had a treasuretrove of old posts. So much of the history of chipping is lost with the disappearance of chiptalk. I think I actually signed up after the boatchip schism at PCF. a bunch of people went there to debate the boatchips when PCF was moderating the crap out of any mention of them. There were some heated shitshow debates there, for like a month. That might be when the donkey sight was created and people shifted there, temporarily.
But bottom line, it's a damn shame that the site is gone because I learned a ton of history just reading there.
Sounds like it is SOP at Orange to moderate who he thinks is the competition then... Well, If that's what unites folks..... :ROFLMAO::cry:

Its too bad as I hear there was a treasure trove of data there from many :(

Back